Saturday, April 20, 2013

River Rafting



When I was about  fourteen, my family went to Lava Hot Springs for a family reunion.  We decided to go tubing down the river nearby.  When we got to the place we wanted to be, I noticed there were two little waterfalls.  They seemed harmless enough and I thought "I could do that without flipping over," as I watched everyone else flip and rush for their tubes.  I thought I was way more skilled and could control my tube.  So I got in the water and floated towards the rushing waterfalls.

As I got closer I started to get nervous, I was going a lot faster then I thought.  I made it past the first waterfall, but on the second I flipped over and hit my head on a rock just under the current.  I felt like I was drowning.  I struggled to reach the top to breathe and once I was able to take a breath I panicked while rushing and searching for my tube.  My brother saw my struggle and came to my rescue.  I eventually got my tube and struggled again to get on top. My legs were scrapped up from the rocks below and my head was pounding. After the struggle of getting on top of my tube, I found my heart still pounding hard and I was a little shakin' up.  I couldn't believe I had done that. I almost drowned in those rapid waterfalls.  What was I thinking?

I learned a great lesson from this experience and one I will never forget. First of all, when you want to go down a waterfall thinking you can do it without flipping over...if everyone else is flipping, chances are you will too. :) Second of all, I learned a great lesson of the importance of listening.  My cousin warned me and told me that it was a little dangerous  but I ignored the warning and went ahead anyway.
This is just like the spirit.  When we are headed into dangerous waters, the spirit always warns us, but if we ignore those warnings we may get caught in a trap.  We may get sucked under the current unable to breathe. It is important that we listen to the holy ghost and his promptings especially when headed into dangerous waters.  He will lead us and help us make right decisions.  Decisions that will make all the difference in our lives.  What a blessing it is to have the holy ghost by our side if we will do those things the lord has asked of us!

15 comments:

  1. My daily prayer is that I am Spirit led.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot imagine the terror of flipping over while rafting. Good analogy with the Spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I nominated you or a Liebster Award. See my Other Blogs post for details - it could help boost follower numbers, I hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great site. Am just visiting from A_Z... am now a follower.

    Oh, Yeah, you are very brave to even attempt river rafting... how exciting for you.
    Patricia, Sugar & Spice & All Things ? Nice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by via Lee's list..and am a new follower. I've been river rafting a few times, and it was a great adventure :)
    Damyanti @Daily(w)rite Co-host, A to Z Challenge 2013

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge
    AZ blogs on Social Media

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like someone was watching over you. :-)

    Short Story Ideas & Just Ermie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great lesson from the Companion. Have you gone rafting since??

    Chontali Kirk
    chontalikirk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been rafting a few times since. I got over it after I healed up. :)

      Delete
  8. Great Blog! Lovely to read and look at. Stopping by from the A to Z challenge. Now a follower.

    Raising Arizona in Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Listening to our inner voice is the most important thing you can do for yourself. When you're not paying attention... well, you found out! ; ) Glad you're around to do these posts and spread joy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Visiting from the A-Z I'm a new follower seeking out new bloggers.
    Have a great day!
    ~Summer
    My Blog Post

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jessica,
    I love that photo you posted for river rafting. I kayak and when doing a river with rapids, I know that feeling of excitement and fear - both at the same time. If this was an actual place to paddle down - I would have had to walk it or slide it down!!
    Good luck with your A to Z Challenge! I did "S" today due to work tomorrow. I teach and we testing next week. No time to blog nightly!! Trying to get this weeks as drafts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. By the way --- how do you have your comments set so that you can reply??? I want to set mine up like this - but can't figure out where to set the setting to be able to reply to comments made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I'm not quite sure how I got the reply on my comments. It was just ended up there when I made my blog. I'm still learning about all this blog stuff. :) If I figure it out I will let you know!

      Thanks for your comment! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  13. You're so lucky that you had others around you to help you out. Although it sounds like a terrifying adventure, it sound like one you'll never forget. :)

    Have fun with a-z.

    ReplyDelete